Friday, March 06, 2009

La Grange Texas Quilt Show

Several of our Thursday Night Bee members went to the La Grange Quilt show last weekend. It was a beautiful day and a fun road trip from Houston. These are not necessarily the 'best' quilts there, but these were my favorites. Each had something a little different that talked to me.

This first one was made from wool. The attention to detail was awesome and this was my vote for Viewer's Choice. The outside black triangles were appliqued to the red border. Without gushing too much, I liked about everything about this quilt, and did not understand why it did not have a ribbon on it. EVen the mistletoe on the bottom row - check out the detail.

Now the rest of these are in no particular order, but I'll meniton why I liked each one. This is a tradional Snails Trail, but I really liked the way she worked with the values on this one. The isles were too close to get full pictures, so you don't get the full effect.


This blue one had a neat setting. Don't recognise the pattern, but it could be the way she laid out the light and darks. It was a really striking quilt.
This simple little sailboat quilt. So simple and I just loved it. The colors were nice, and she did a great job fussy cutting fabrics for the sails and the body of the boats. Nice job.
This next one was a really fun quilt. Our Bee buddy that couldn't come with us has a scrub top made with these cats. I thought she might appreciate this quilt! Check out the Periodic Table of Elements in the center of the block and all the cats doing their medical things. Gail - this one is for you. Wish you could have come with us instead of having to go to work!

This simple Carpenters Wheel just talked to me. The 30's colors were just different than what you usually see. The quilting was nicely done and I could see this in my house or even in my granddaughters room!
Now, on the way home from the quilt show, we did stop at 'Gerlines Quilt Shoppe' and 'Around The Block' quilt shop, both in Giddings TX. Both are nice shops, and worth a look if you are on 290. Of course we also had to stop at Buc-ees to get Icees and beef jerky to get us the rest of the way home.

No comments: