Monday, March 27, 2006

Enthralled by Batiks

For years I have pointedly avoided buying any batiks. It's not like I don't have enough (who has enough??) fabric. Oranges, Reds, Purples. . . those aren't ANY colors that I'm used to using. I'm so traditional, playing safe with the 30's reproduction quits, and some of those beautiful muted colors of the 1800s.

Well, a couple of weeks ago, some of my longarm quilting buddies and I went to a semi-local quilt shop (Plain and Fancy just North of Houston). Those batiks just reached out and bit me. Obsessed over choices and picked out 25 fat quarters and some yardage.


This picture shows the inspiration piece and the fat quarters I picked to go with them.

I sat playing with them, trying figure out what I could make with them. I DON'T HAVE ENOUGH!!!

So then, I started googleing batik quilts. Discovered Judy Niemeyer. OMG! Have you seen some of her quilts? Now, anyone that knows me knows I don't do paper piecing, but... I've got a couple of her patterns on order. I thought about starting with 4th of July, but think I'll start with Indian Summer before attempting the 4th of July quilt!

No comments: